Call 03 9386 7108 or email Ernie to discuss further.... ONLINE TEACHING VIA ZOOM is available
To find out about live performances use the Gig Guide.
- Violin and Fiddle - specialising in klezmer but with over 20 years teaching in folk, jazz, and up to intermediate classical violin. Specialising in adults who are picking up the violin after a long break, and kids and teenagers who want to change or expand from classical violin to folk and world music styles. Introduction to other styles including celtic (Ernie learnt at Comhaltas initially, then thru Melbourne Irish and folk scenes), old-timey and bluegrass, middle-eastern, balkan, european, jazz, improvisation, learning to read music, learning to learn by ear, improving technique.
Ernie trained classically with VCA and Conservatorium teachers including Nathan Gutman and Christopher Martin & mentored by his paternal grandmother who trained at Vienna Conservatorium and was first woman to play in a professional orchestra in Poland. He led the Monash String Quartet for 10 years, and played in orchestras including Victorian Concert Orchestra, Melbourne Youth Orchestras, and many pit orchestras.
- Klezmer - most instruments...learn tunes and style - While at klezmer festivals overseas, I went to workshops for non-violin instruments as well as violin.
eg I may not play the clarinet, but I can point you in a good direction, discussing phrasing and ornaments, use CDs as examples and give reference material. Besides violin, I play mandolin, recorder and blues harp, and while my technique is not great on the latter, I can help as above.
Workshops (see calendar & part history on the side of this page)
- Klezmer workshops - see Ernie Gruner link for more information & heaps of experience
2012 Community Music Victoria weekend Bendigo camp. Klezmer workshop YOUTUBE VIDEO (Vodka Nigun)
2013 " a great job with a bunch of students of such varying abilities.
We all enjoyed the workshop, students and teachers alike " Wesley College String Coordinator
- Nigun workshops - Introduction to Jewish wordless song
Based on experience as busy klezmer musician for over 20 years in Melbourne, playing for weddings, sefer torah, barmitzvahs and other occasions. Recently inspired to again teach these simple but powerful songs by being part of nigun sessions at KlezKanada, Montreal 2008.
Nigunnim come from the East European Jewish chassidic tradition. Klezmer musicians often picked their favorite or most popular nigunnim and turned them into tunes. (Examples on Klezmerits CD & Bohemian Nights 2nd CD)
- Improvised swimming workshop - this workshop was only run once
at the Turramurra Folk Music Camp 22 years ago ....it appears not to be popular. (thanks Ethel)
LATEST SELECTED NEWS - is out of date - includes workshops for Footscray Gypsies, Orkestra Glasso Bassholde, festivals etc
Please contact me if you are interested in possible workshop or lesson where you live ??
Feb. 28 Klezmer workshop for
Oct. 29th Klezmer workshop for
Oct 18th Klezmer workshop for
Cygnet Folk Festival Tasmania
New Zealand Klezmer workshops in Wellington Folk Festival, and Dunedin Fiddle Club
Klezmer & singing workshops - Mosman
& at Fairbridge Festival
Improvisation : A playful Introduction.
July 12th Friday 10am
Melbourne Arts Centre
June 29th Saturday 4pm
Tue. March 26th Workshop with London Klezmer Quartet and Ernie
Ernie Nigun workshop : National Folk Festival
2012 September 24th Monday 7.30pm Northcote Uniting Church / Darebin Music Feast
for Violins and C instruments only.
2012 May Community Music Victoria weekend Bendigo camp.
2012 April 17th Tuesday Klezmer & Nigun workshops at KULCHA, Fremantle W.A., Evening. email for details
Workshop information at Kulcha website
Jan Cygnet Festival, Tas
Nov 6 Zingaro Klez Rom festival
Sept 6 Darebin Music Feast
Aug 20 Brisbane BEMAC
April 1-5 Canberra
National Folk Festival
Jan 23 Kingston
Globe to Globe Festival
Jan 8-10 The 20th BOITE